Fire at Takanami caused by spontaneous combustion

UPDATE: Cause of fire and total damage

IOWA CITY — Iowa City firefighters said the cause of a small fire at Takanami restaurant Tuesday morning was due to spontaneous combustion. spontaneous combustion.

Fire crews responded to the restaurant at 217 Iowa Avenue at 9:14 a.m. after an automatic alarm was set off. Upon arrival, there were no visible flames, but there was a smell of smoke and the building’s sprinkler system had been activated.

After investigating, fire crews determined a small fire had started in a back office of the restaurant, but was extinguished by a single sprinkler.

According to a release from the Iowa City Fire Department, the cause of the fire was determined to be spontaneous combustion of kitchen towels in a linen basket. The total damage to the building was estimated at $5,000.

Original story posted Nov. 23 at 10:19 a.m.

IOWA CITY — A small fire was extinguished at Takanami Restaurant by the building’s sprinkler system Tuesday morning.

Emergency crews were dispatched to 217 Iowa Avenue in Iowa City at 9:14 a.m. after an automatic alarm was set off. Upon arrival, there were no visible flames, but there was a smell of smoke and the building’s sprinkler system had been activated.

After investigating, fire crews determined a small fire had started in a back office of the restaurant, but was extinguished by the sprinkler system.

Battalion Chief Dan Smith said there was minor water damage to the office, but no further damage to the building. No one was injured in the incident.

Iowa City fire crews responded to Takanami Restaurant, 217 Iowa Ave., in Iowa City at 9:14 a.m. Tuesday after an automatic alarm was set off. It was discovered a small fire had started in a back office and was extinguished by the building’s sprinkler system. (Clark Cahill/SourceMedia Group News)


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *